Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Iran

So, it seems that Dodge has not seen fit to reward me with a free Dodge Challenger as yet for my earlier unsolicited non-celebrity endorsement of this fine car. With that in mind, I will do so again, and will keep doing so. Dodge Challenger. Dodge Challenger, dammit! BLACK. DODGE. CHALLENGER. Oh yeah, and if you'd like to give me an R/T model for this unsolicited endorsement, which I'm sure few will see, I'd happily accept. Yes, I do know how to drive manual... and love it!

Moving on from this shameless and I'm sure futile attempt to pander to Dodge to get a free car... my modern dream car, that is (I like the classic ones)... back to the subject at hand: Iran.

The short of it is that US intel experts are pretty worried that Iran could strike pretty hard if we keep pressuring them. That much seems like a headline straight from the "No shit, Sherlock" magazine. Of course they may strike if we keep pissing them off.

What's more important however is that they are developing nuclear capabilities. That, and that when they have them, they're fairly likely to use them... stupidly.

The argument could and has been made that being that we have nuclear weapons ourselves, we've no right to keep other nations from having similar weapons. This logic is perfectly fair. I mean, who are we to have guns, but deny them to the murderers and rapists who would kill us in our sleep?

Yes, yes... I do have a sarcastic streak in me. But the point remains. Fair is not always workable or safe. I think it's safe to say that the majority of us have no desire to live under Sharia law... and indeed, many of us simply wouldn't live. While I do not believe that all Muslims are out to force conversions, keep in mind what regime is running Iran at the moment. It is a theocratic one.

Perhaps this is where the difference between fair and just becomes more clear. We do need to stop Iran's nuclear ambitions... for our safety as well as that of our allies. While they may not have missiles capable of reaching the US from Iran, there are other ways... and what would stop them from procuring a few missiles that could reach the US from other nations that don't like us?

No comments:

Post a Comment