Friday, January 13, 2012

Indoctrination in Public Schools

Back when I was in high school, for some idiot reason, PETA was allowed to set up shop in the hallway near the front office during lunch. Predictably, they were pushing off all their pamphlets, mostly trying to guilt people in to a total vegan diet. Me, being who I am, I would always double back to grab a burger or something in which meat was the main ingredient in that could easily be held in one hand while I browse the pamphlets talking about how meat is murder.

Being older and wiser now, I still grin ear to ear about that. But, I also find myself kind of irritated. I never saw anyone else being allowed to set up shop in the school hallways during lunch to present any kind of counterpoint. It was indoctrination. That PETA would do that doesn't surprise me - they have no ethics in how they get their message across. Show them the studies that plants do, indeed, feel pain too, and their smug little heads explode. Why though were they allowed to set up shop in a public school? Why were no opposing views doing the same?

I'm pretty certain that any conservatives reading this will be saying, "yup, that's what I'm talking about! Liberal propaganda is being forced into our children's minds. Indoctrination at public schools has gotta stop here and now!"

With that statement, "indoctrination has to stop," I fully agree. Why then, are so many Republicans forcing creationism into the curriculum of public schools? And universities? Creationism is not science. There is no scientific evidence to back it up. If it belongs in any curriculum in a public school, it would belong in one such as "Comparative Theology," Not something that teaches fact based on evidence.

Intelligent design also is not a compromise. Again, it is not based on fact or any kind of evidence, it is based on one religion trying to find some way to force their agenda into schools. So conservatives, guess what? It's still indoctrination, even if it's under your agenda.

This is something that people are being forced to learn, and being graded on for learning "correctly." It's being passed off as science, not for the theology it rightfully is, regardless of the religious beliefs (or lack thereof) of the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment