Friday, February 17, 2012

Update on the Lunch Police Thing

So, it seems there are going to be more than a few people that are going to be rather red-faced about this whole thing. For my own part, I do try to bring reliable information, but as mentioned in yesterday's post, this becomes difficult when people are so fired up about one issue. Turns out that this was stupidity on the teacher's part:


I believe I did mention the possibility that this was a miscommunication. And understandably, people expect teachers to be knowledgeable. But after all, keep in mind that this is all second-hand information from a four year old, and like I said in my previous post on this issue, one can't expect a four year old to draw fine distinctions. From her point of view, it may as well have been the schoolyard bully taking her lunch. And her point of view is right.

But it turns out that all that should have been done is that the kid was offered some milk. While the cheese on her sandwich realistically does amount to dairy, I'm not sure how much dairy it amounts to... or it simply could have been forgotten. Good ol' cheese is easy to forget about on a sandwich.

Still not sure how comfortable I am with the fact that home-brought lunches are being inspected. Like I said yesterday, if a parent cares enough to pack a lunch, they usually care enough to make an effort toward nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment