Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Predictions?

So I'm up late (like always... I tend to be a night person), although for whatever reason, I actually feel like I really am up late tonight.

I'm reading through the news, to include the highlighted quotes and deeds one sees from political activists on Facebook. What I'm seeing is making me think back to the crap this country went through during Woodrow Wilson's time in office. While he's considered now to be one of the "Great Presidents," the truth is, by most standards, he would have been one of the worst presidents in this nation's 300+ year history. He pretty much ruled with an iron fist, and accomplished all the things Bush the lesser was trying to accomplish a few years ago. The only reason he is considered a "Great President" is because he had the fortune to preside over the first world war, and our side theoretically won. Never mind that the way it was blundered through led directly to the Great Depression and to the second world war.

Watching events unfold remind me of a comic by Jhonen Vasquez called "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac." There is a part in which Johnny, perhaps ironically, says, "The basic behavior of the modern human is hardly different from that of its primitive ancestors, the only noticeable changes are trends. Whether in a quit or in a loincloth, people are ignorant little thorns, cutting into one another. The seem incapable of advancing beyond the violent tendencies which, at one time, were necessary for survival." For my part, it's not the incapability of advancing beyond the violent tendencies that bothers me so much as the asinine excuses people make for them. Some like to blame religion, but in truth, if not for religion, another excuse would be found.

What I'm seeing now is a lot of power-grabs. A lot of regression. I don't know how many have watched that old "Xena: Warrior Princess" show, or out of those who have, how many would admit to it (I have the first season on DVD - boo-yah!), but I remember an episode in which Ares had been dethroned. With that, warriors were on their best behaviors while non-warriors were picking fights wherever the hell they could. Ares said something about the absence of war causing a lack of discipline among people. I'm not sure how to word it correctly, but in its own way, it made sense. People are hungry for what they don't (or shouldn't) have. Now it seems like people are aching for another big war.

For those who are reading this, I'm curious about your predictions for what's likely to happen in the next ten years or so. There's no time limit on this, so just join in whenever.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking that the US will get militarily involved in Syria over the course of the next ten years. As far as military involvement that's all I feel relatively certain about.

    In regard to Presidential elections, I'm thinking Obama will get re-elected; Hillary Clinton will run and likely win in 2016. I'm totally rooting for any kind of an upset from Gary Johnson, but my guess would be that he'll be lucky to get into the debates this election cycle; if he can't make it this time around, he'll be able to in 2016. I read some place (forget where) that he has already made plans to run again in four years.

    I think the Euro Crisis will drag on throughout the ten years. Things will get worse, but the Euro will not collapse. The Greece Scenario will repeat with Spain and Italy, only getting worse as more money is borrowed from Norther Europe and not repaid.

    Those are a few of my predictions.

    ReplyDelete